Steps in Developing a Custom Blister Package
1. Project Begins
- Email, phone call, video meeting or in-person meeting to review:
- Application is discussed.
- Customer supplies example of product or a drawing with dimensions.
- 3D model preferred but not required.
- Goals for packaging and branding are discussed.
- Necessary level of clarity, materials, cleanliness of parts and timeline is established.
- Card Dimensions / Shelf Space available / Planogram is discussed.
- Features or Benefits of product that want to be highlighted are discussed.
- Hang-Hole style determined.
- Customer budget is discussed.
- Estimated pricing and current estimated lead time may be provided.
- Customer typically is provided with a 2-D design from a VisiPak Packaging Engineer that incorporates what has been discussed.
- Customer reviews design and provides feedback.
- Design is approved or revisions are made and process continues until design approval.
- Final pricing and lead time is provided. Subject to change if changes are made post-approval.
- If a graphics card or trap blister card is needed, we will provide the required die-lines to your art card supplier.
- During this process we will also finalize any packaging requirements for boxes, bags, pallets, etc.
- Establish customer credit.
- Customer submits purchase order for prototype.
- Ren board mold is created in-house and blister samples are produced.
- We design and test customer sample for form, fit, and function.
- If only 2D drawing available, instead of actual product, we use software to estimate form, fit and function.
- We ship blister samples to client for approval.
- Customer approves blister or revision is made (1st revision, if minor, typically at no charge).
4. Tool Development
- Client provides written approval of blister and submits purchase order for production of tooling and production parts.
- Initial order for tooling and production parts typically takes between 9 and 13 weeks depending upon the complexity of the part.
- Actual tool design and the first article samples typically takes between 8 and 12 weeks.
- Aluminum mold is manufactured in-house on state of the art CNC equipment.
- Production parts made from the tool, after first article samples are approved, typically takes 1 to 2 additional weeks to produce.
5. Part Production & Fulfillment
- Product is scheduled for production usually within 1 to 2 weeks after First Article approval is provided.
- First production run: We will need to know from you how long your approval process will take. Some customers only need to check the product fit and can give a "same day" approval over a video call. Others need to conduct a drop or ship test. Based on this feedback we either schedule the order to run while the machine is set-up or re-schedule the run based on how long your approval process takes.
- Blisters shipped to customer.
6. Repeat Orders
- Typically plan on a 3 to 4 week lead time to ship repeat orders.
- Our Customer Service Department will be the main contact for processing repeat orders, pricing inquiries and maintaining customer satisfaction.
- Our Sales Department will be responsible for discussing all new opportunities and fielding any technical questions.
- If you have a high volume part(s), we can set up an inventory program for plastic, parts or both, which will cut your lead time down depending on what option you choose.
7. Lead Times
Typical business day lead times after PO and all relevant information has been submitted and acknowledged.
- Concept drawing for new part will be provided in 5 to 7 days.
- Requires email approval from the customer.
- Prototype parts will be available to ship within 7 to 11 days after email approval of concept drawing.
- Modification rounds for prototypes can be 2 to 7 days based on changes requested.
- Requires signed/returned Sample Approval form.
- First articles off production tooling will be available to ship in 8 to 12 weeks after Sample Approval form is received.
- Requires signed/returned First Article Approval form.
- Production will begin 1 to 2 weeks after First Article Approval form is received.